This course traces the development of American society from the earliest days of human habitation until the late 1800s. Areas of focus will be the colonial era, the American Revolution, the regional rift between North and South leading to the Civil War, and the Industrial Revolution that took place afterwards. Themes will include the role of social classes, territorial expansion and industrialization.
- Revolution and the New Nation
- Nation Building and Sectionalism
- The Civil War and Reconstruction
- Industrialization and the Gilded Age
- Expansion, Reform and Imperialism