This course focuses on basic concepts in chemistry and physics and encourages exploration of new discoveries in the field of physical science. The course includes an overview of scientific principles and procedures and has students examine the chemical building blocks of our physical world and the composition of matter. Additionally, students explore the properties that affect motion, forces, and energy on Earth. Building on these concepts, the course covers the properties of electricity and magnetism and the effects of these phenomena. As students refine and expand their understanding of physical science, they will apply their knowledge to complete interactive virtual labs that require them to ask questions and create hypotheses.
Physical Sciences A covers the following concepts:
- Atoms and the Periodic Table including the studies of atomic theory, elements, the periodic table and metals
- Properties and Changes of Matter including the studies of states and changes of matter, physical and chemical properties
- Chemical Bonding and Reactions including the studies of bonds, compounds, and chemical reactions
- Mixtures, Solutions and Acid-Base Reactions including the studies of mixtures, acids and bases
- Motion including the studies of speed, velocity, and acceleration